Wednesday, April 2, 2014

#18 Education

How in the world is a person supposed to choose ONE of these apps to blog about?  YIKES!

I'll mini-blog about a couple...then really dig into one I haven't tried before.

My Script Calculator: LOVE this app.  Someone showed it to me last year and we have it on the iPads of all the 8th graders.  It's AMAZING how well it works......and it's always right.  I think it also forces kids to understand mathematical symbols better.

Fooducate: Our FACS teacher uses this one at school as well, and it's pretty comprehensive.

Google Earth: EVERYONE loves playing on Google Earth....but the fact that everyone can see my patio furniture a firepit still creeps me out a bit.

Others we like at our school: Wikipedia (duh!), Khan Academy, 3D Brain, & Socrative (though Kahoot is sort of taking over Socrative's place right now.....)


The app I chose to download was iTranslate.  Upon opening it, and hitting a button, it wanted me to upgrade for $4.99.  It was easy to use, but because I have voice recognition on my iPad it was easier.  The app was designed so people have to type in the whole thing they want translated.  The app has 81 languages, and you can even try to get it to "detect languages" if you're not sure what to translate.  This could be helpful if I were traveling...AND if I had the premium edition.  With this free one, when I tried to "play" the Spanish translation of what I said, it looked like it was playing, but I heard nothing.  And the constant ads running from Google were annoying.  I use Google translate on my computer quite a bit, and this worked pretty much the same...how complicated can translation really be, right?  If I were fluent in another language, I guess I'd have a better idea if this were a strong app and it's consistently good.  It's rated 4.5, so I'm thinking it's pretty good.

Just for fun, I also downloaded the Eat This, Not That game.  It was educational....but fun?  Not so much.  I first played the lunch game (there are a limited number of games available...unless you want to share with social media to unlock things like Kids Food, Restaurant Edition, and Drinks Edition).  It pitted two fast food meals (from the same restaurant) against one another and you had to choose the healthier of the two....as time and points diminished.  It gave clues about the food, starting with calories, then fat, then saturated fat, then sodium (the only four factors they looked at).  If you answered early, you never got to see the facts.  You did get to read a thing that was in really small print and a few sentences long about the "good item".  One interesting thing I learned was that the tortilla used at Chipotle is 290 calories....so I'll definitely only be doing the bowls from now on!  This game took a LONG time...there were 26 questions, so if you really read the info after it, it would take some time.....many of the restaurants compared were not local chains, so it was a lot of guessing.  And again, answering too early didn't give you a chance to really see nutritional info.  I decided to try the snacks game next.  It had TWO questions.  Two.  Really?  Breakfast had seven....it was okay.  I didn't love this game, but since





No comments:

Post a Comment