Sunday, January 19, 2014

#5 Notes

I decided to download a couple of these apps to my iPhone and try them out, since they seem to be more "phone-ish" than iPadish in their nature. I generally use the "Notes" app on both my devices for notes and lists, and iCal to organize my time..

 

Remember the Milk has a cute icon.  That's it.  After playing with it for five minutes, I was so done.  First of all, I don't think this app is all that intuitive, and I'm a pretty tech-savvy person.  If I can't figure it out pretty quickly, I lose interest fast.  It was WAY too busy.  I made myself a note in both typing and text-to-speech (which seemed to work fine).  When I was done, I got stuck in this cycle of "edit" or "done".  The only way to get back home was to completely shut down the app.  After trying three different times, I said forget it. And I promptly deleted it.




I tried Dragon Dictation next.  As far as "getting" my dictation, it was the same as Siri is when I use my iPhone.  I still have to insert periods and commas when I want them, and I need to enunciate.  One thing that was strange was that deleting a message I dictated was not simple.  I could only get rid of a word at a time; I couldn't find a way to just delete the whole thing, which seems odd.  I mean, how hard can it be to make that an option somewhere?






Honestly, I can't see myself needing to use either of these apps....and although the app on my phone called "Notes" is pretty basic, it does what I need it to do....and when I need to use text-to-speech to update a status, send a text or e-mail, or whatever....Siri does just fine.

2 comments:

  1. Deleting something in Dragon is actually pretty easy, but it is a little bit different on the iPhone than the iPad. What you want to do is just put your finger on a word and then drag your finger over all the text you want to delete. Then click the Delete button. Here's a video where you can watch how this guy deletes something: http://youtu.be/3srECMmQPy0?t=28s. (As always, YouTube to the rescue. If you're not sure about a certain feature of an app, Googling to find the answer is always a good thing.)

    Congrats on getting through 5 Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the response....and the advice....I'll try it:)

      Delete