Friday, January 17, 2014

#4 Keeping Up

I think this was a GREAT idea for a "thing"...I've been a Zite user (but not super -religiously) for about two years.  I like it fine, but it's always kind of the thing I check when I'm bored, and I haven't made it a priority.  Part of this might be because I see a lot of the articles from Zite via Twitter, so I just don't visit the app very much.

When I downloaded Flipboard, it had a rating of four+ stars, so I figured it would be okay. Then I made my account, opened it up, and WOW!  This thing is cool!  And I'm quite surprised I've never heard of it before.

I could actually use Flipboard and dump my apps for Facebook, Twitter, and Zite if I wanted to.  Connecting Flipboard to my social media sites is pretty cool, and setting up my Flipboard "subscriptions" was super easy.  I deleted Sports and some fashion garbage...added Children & Teen Books and some Apple stuff, and I was good to go.  I had the same articles I would have seen on my Zite, but instant access to my Facebook and Twitter feeds...and the instant access to both of those feeds?  WAY prettier than the way they are naturally presented (I think).

Now, this doesn't mean that I will dump those apps and access everything via Flipboard...sometimes I just need a straight newsfeed to plow through when I haven't checked Twitter in a day or two, and this feed requires a lot of swiping because of the pictures (which I like, because you get to see them without having to click, but it takes up more space....).  I really like the way that Facebook feeds though...especially when it comes to my own pictures and timeline. Aesthetically, it's more pleasing....and posting is easy, though I didn't do much with my own photos or albums. I bet I'll still prefer to use my full laptop when doing stuff like that.

Here's my only gripe: I tried to comment on someone else's post.  It kept saying it "error posting reply" and I kept hitting retry....but it actually did post, so I had 11 of the same exact comments on my niece's wall.  It was sort of funny, because she was headed out on a trip to California and I told her to "Have a great time" eleven times.  Her response was, "Okay, okay.  I will!"

I don't think I'd like Flipboard as much on my phone....too small, but as an iPad app, it's one I'll be putting on my home screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment